Monday, January 10, 2011

Art 450 Proposal

So, I've always been fascinated by the myst games.  It's fun to explore strange, beautifully rendered worlds, finding bits and pieces of a story that have been left behind.  I'd like to create something similar, laid back to the point that it's almost more like a comic or story than a game, where the point is to explore and see what you find.  My focus will be on 2d, digitally painted scenes made interactive and (lightly) animated by flash.  It will be primarily visual, but there will probably be text involved as well, through books or letters that might be found.  The genre will be fantasy.  I haven't decided on a storyline yet, and I'm not sure if the game will be linear, with more places unlocked as you go, or something more freeform, where you really just explore every place you can find.

I very much like the idea of "animated concept art," and I'd like to aim for a similar style, sketched/created using photoshop, then imported into flash to make it work as part of the game, making it interactive with Actionscript 3.  I know photoshop solidly, I do not know Flash or Actionscript at all.  I don't know how complicated the scripting for the game will be, hopefully I can just keep it pretty basic, but at this point I have no idea how that will go.  Since learning the program will be taking a significant amount of time, as will planning out the story and the layout of the game, I'll be keeping animation at a minimum, and the art quality at about the level of finished concept sketches.  If by some miracle I end up with a surplus of time at the end, it might be a little better.

Software:
- Flash CS5
- Photoshop CS5

1 comment:

  1. As you come up with a storyline, can you put together a preliminary mock-up in storyboard (images and text together like a comic book) style? Your next step will be a production timeline and choosing a Monday before mid-February for a preliminary critique in class.

    ReplyDelete