Monday, October 5, 2009

New Discoveries: Phil McDarby

Phil McDarby


I just stumbled across his site about a week ago, and I was completely blown away. Total cheesy-sauce, but his work reminds me of why I wanted to do art in the first place. It has a subtlety to it, with loads of hidden little details you would only find if you really studied the piece, yet it isn't loud at all. It also has a sense of wonder, imagination and appreciation of the natural world that I really admire. It's almost like you could see these things for yourself if you went deep enough into the wilds, and were patient enough to actually look.



The amount of time and effort that goes into these images is incredible - he uses a combination of his own photography, digital painting and 3D modeling to construct different pieces. Keeping lighting and texture and everything consistent, making everything blend together that seamlessly with a wide range of media in the same picture must take an incredible amount of work, and also a certain OCD perfectionism and attention to detail that I can definitely relate to. And I have to say, the results are stunning.



No comments:

Post a Comment